As with everybody with an active conscience, I was getting greatly concerned at my weight increase; and not to mention general lack of fitness. So upon hitting the internet, I landed on the goldmine that is green smoothies. You might have come across people drinking a green liquid pulp in your daily endeavors. I also decided to join the group and I must say, I have no regrets having done so.
Green smoothies are made up of leafy greens plus fruit and a liquid base. I also add fruit toppings to mine. Here are reasons I love green smoothies:
- Green smoothies were a great way to get me to eat fruits and vegetables and in the process give my body the plant based nutrients it requires
- They are ideal for weight loss. With ingesting smoothies, I was getting the same amount of satisfaction as eating a large meal plus less calories.
- A green smoothie is the ideal ‘fast’ food. Smoothies take little time to prepare and so any time hunger strikes, within minutes, the stomach is satiated.
- Green smoothies were a great way to get my kids to eat veggies. All parents are aware of the struggle one has to go through to get kids to eat the greens. Green smoothies are a simple way to trick them into consuming them. However, when starting out, it is advisable that the proportion of fruits versus greens be large. You can lessen this as they get used to the taste of the smoothies.
- Green smoothies are easily digested as they are usually blended and in liquid form. This is also an advantage to all those who suffer from indigestion each time they eat a large meal. Taking a green smoothie will give the desired satisfaction as well as nutrients.
- Regularly taking green smoothies during the day keeps you hydrated. Doctors recommend that one should take at least 8 glasses of water a day. However, most people find this hard to do as they aren’t into the taste of plain water. When you take smoothies often, you’ll be drinking more liquids without even noticing.
- Green smoothies are healthier than fruit juices. Fruit juices may have the required vitamins and minerals but they lack fiber. Green smoothies on the other hand have this in plenty as they are made from whole fruits and vegetables.
- They are very filling. Due to the high amounts of water and fiber, I get to feel that I just ate a full meal.
- They are portable in that you can carry them anywhere. Due to the fact they are likely to stay fresh for 24 hours or more, I can therefore carry them to my workplace, gym or the park.
- Taking a green smoothie is good for constipation. As they are rich in fiber, this helps in stopping constipation.
- They help stop heartburn and acid reflux. This is because they are naturally alkaline.
- They are easy to make as all I require is a blender and a container to store the smoothie.
These are the reasons I love my green smoothie any time. Hope you join the bandwagon. Sign up for my next green smoothie workshop here http://greensmoothieliving.com/30-day-green-smoothie-challenge/